Bloodlines - Our Foundation Families
Principally we are breeding off 4 main foundation breeding families and these are listed under the matron mare
BONNIE QUINE (Chiola Hanover – Sergalina) – now deceased
We purchased Bonnie Quine at the Mixed Stock Sales at Karaka as an empty mare for $550. I had witnessed her racing from Dane Alexander’s stable and she raced 70 times for 2 wins and 9 placings for $14,806 in stakes from 2-6 years of age. When she put her mind to the job of trotting she was impressive. Unfortunately we had to put her down in 2013 at the age of 24 as she had contracted a disorder that prevented her from keeping condition but the family goes on producing good horses from her progeny.
She is the dam of six foals of racing age
• GEORGEINA by Sundon (1 win 7 places $11,692) who is being breed by Mike and Susan Cleg. They have had good success with John Joseph and Sir George Grey (3rd in the 2014 3yo Ruby Jewels Trot).
• TK VICTOR by Simon Roydon (2002 NZ 2yo Trotter of the Year) with 4 NZ 2yo wins incl 2002 NZSS 2yo Trotters Championship, 2nd NZYSS 2yo Trotters Final and 4 Aust 3yo wins incl SA Trotters Derby and has won in USA 1.58.2.
Video link 2002 NZSS 2yo Trot Final,
Video link 2002 NZYSS 2yo Trot Final
• TK SPEEDSTER by Straphanger was tried but given away as a riding horse.
• TK ROCKET by Above the Stars was untried as she cut her back leg back down to the bone as a 2yo. She has had one foal to date, a 5yo Monkey Bones gelding TK TITAN, who has now been retired as a riding and show horse and sold to Rebecca Kiddie at Pukekoke and his progress is covered more fully in the Standardbred R & R page of the website. Her 2nd foal, TK Spartan, a yearling Pegasus Spur colt was prepared for the 2017 Australasian Yearling Sale at Karaka and while being passed in at $6,000 we have negotiated a 50% trade deal on him and he is currently being broken in and shows promise – his major target if he is ready is the 2018 2yo Jewels Ruby Trot at Cambridge. TK Rocket is back in foal to Pegasus Spur and is due to foal in October 2017.
• FEFIFOFUM by Shakennotstirred had 2 starts as a 2yo for 2 placings. After a couple of preparations he was given away to a 13yo girl at Waihi Beach and is enjoying his new life as a riding horse..
• FACEBOOKME by Shakennotstirred is spelling and will probably be sold off as a riding horse.
DECOROUS (Garrison Hanover – Ceredel) – now deceased
I purchased this mare sight unseen from John Lischener, a half sister to the good pacer EMCEE and is from a family that has produced good performers like Honkin Del, OUR STRETTO, ROYAL LOPEZ, KLIKLITE, THE COURT OWL, FRANCO HEIR, PINDARI WAY, BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN, and SHAKAMAKER to name a few.
We have breed three foals from this foundation mare and continue to breed off this family.
• TK SCOOTER by OK Bye (1 win 2 places $5,930) dam of CAPROCK CREEK (6 wins 13 places $59,052) This mare was purchased from us by Neil Brady and Sue Martin as a yearling at the Karaka Yearling Sales. She went on to race very competitively for them going within 1 sec of the track record at Alexandra Park held by Delightful Lady. I hounded Neil and Sue and brought her back from them at the end of her racing career.
• TK DANCER by Holmes Hanover was lightly raced with great staying ability. She has left four foals for three winners TK Invictus by Live or Die who we sold at to Dean Shannon for $17,000 at the Karaka Year Sales. This colt had 5 wins and 10 placings in Australia for $16,514. TK Talaria by Make a Deal ($150) TK Oracle by Jeremy's Gambit (1 placing $958) the latter having being sold. We will breed off TK Talaria.
• TK COMET by Holmes Hanover had very high speed and qualified as a late 2yo running her last ½ in 57.7. She is the dam of only two foals, TK Stellar by In the Pocket (who has recently been given away to have a new life as a riding horse) and TK Hellraiser by Rustler Hanover who has a nice 5yo gelding in TK Boatman that is to be leased out and a 2yo trotting gelding by TK Titan called TK Cerus that will be broken in late 2016.
ARNIKA (El Patron – Desert Song) still with us in retirement at age 30
Arnika was already a successful broodmare having produced BE BE BROSNIK 1.59.4 Aust who in Australia won 12 races and was 16 times placed for $57,892 predominately in Victoria, South Australia and West Australia; Richard Millhouse who when trained by the maestro, Peter Wolfenden, won 5 races and was 2 times placed from 15 starts; Campbelltown who had a small number of 2 & 3yo starts for 1 win and 2 places before being sold to Australia where he amassed 8 wins and 20 placings for $46,422 in stake monies and a light producing New York Motoring mare, Nikaria.
The cross with Holmes Hanover worked wonders for the mare, and we bred
• TK Sabre that was sold as a 4yo for $45,000.
• TK Saracen that was raced on lease for several years and in 2012 when it came off lease had a sole win from one race day start under the capable training and driving skills of NZ’s fastest Indian, Jay Abernethy, being sold the next day to Australia where he went on to win another 5 races in 3 months running 1.55.4 around Menangle, ending his career with 8 wins 16 placings for $41,623 in stakes. video link
• TK Crusader qualified for Todd Mitchell but never raced and is due to foal in 2014. After the foal is weaned next year, she is destined to become Pam’s riding horse.
We purchased NIKARIA (New York Motoring – Arnika) off Anthony Nixon and she has gone on to add to her track record by producing Nikeshia (Holmes Hanover) for 4 wins 14 placings for $41,800 in stakes money. She has a very nice Pacific Fella 5yo mare called TK Dreamweaver a nicely developed 2yo gelding by TK Titan called TK Seren.
We also purchased one of her daughters, Stevie Nicks (Red River Hanover-Nikaria) a couple of years ago and have bred one foal from her, a 3yo Royal Mattjesty filly that will race next season as TK Zenobia. In the interim TK Zenobia has had one foal a 2yo gelding by TK Titan called TK Orelia that will be broken in later in the year. Stevie Nicks has been retired and is now spending the rest of her life as a riding horse.
WORLD CLASS (Dragons Lair - LC Tricky)
This mare and her daughter Provocative were acquired by us in 2014.
World Class is a 1/2 sister to
• EL PADRINO (p3, 1.58.2m, 1660m; 1.55.3f, Aust) c by Presidential Ball. (p.2, 2.00 PL, 1700m; 2 places at 2 $13,639, incl 2d NZ Sires Stks 2yo Ht) Plus 16 WA, Vic & Qld wins 23 places $156,207, incl 2d Australasian Breeders Crown 4yoh&g Final, Gr.1, Qld Seymour Charity Cup Final, Gr.3
• Simply Magic (2.4.2, 2200m) f by Island Fantasy. 1 win 7 places $14,584
• Real Tricky (2.2.5, 2000m) f by Real Desire. 1 win 5 places $8170.
• Gift of Grace (p2, 2.4.6, 2000m; qual. lightly raced $330) f by In The Pocket, dam of OUTLAW (p.3, 1.59.8, 1950m; 1 wins $4,335) Plus 6 NSW wins 5 places $26,629 to date.
• Pure Envy (p3, 2.4.1, 2200m; qual.) f by Jenna's Beach Boy. Unraced dam of CHARGE FORWARD (p2, 1.56, 1700m; p3, 1.59.6, 2200m; 1.58.2, 2200m; 8 wins 9 places $105,248 to date, incl NZ Sires Stks 2 & 3yo Hts) Set NZ record; Dougie's Envy (p3, 2.1.3, 1660m) 2 Qld win 6 places 3 $10,598 to date. UNFORGIVING (p2 1.58.2) 2 win 2 places $45,263 to date. Take Charge 2.02 1 win 3 places $7,581 to date
• PADRISIMO by Bettors Delight (Aust 1.56.2 2014 5 2yo 5 wins in NSW, 10 wins 10 places for $102,745 to date)
World Class has five foals of racing age including
• Strike (2.4.6 Q) by Artesian 1 place $1,489.
• BAD BOY (Aust 1.57.8) by Badlands Hanover 4 wins 4 places $18,500
• Vengeance (2.2.7Q) by Artsplace 2 wins 15 places $31,038
She conceived a nice filly by Lislea called Clear Vision but we had to put her weanling down in January 2016 due to a bad intestinal tract blockage.
• Provocative (2.5.8Q) by Grinfromeartoear $311 (Retired and has a nice 2yo gelding by Attorney General called TK Balios who has very high speed and will be broken in late 2016). This Grinfromeartoear mare was lightly tried as a 2 & 3yo and was purchased off Adrian Matthews as a 4yo mare. She was typical of most Grinfromeartoear’s in that she has now only just filled out in her frame and now looks like a good type. She is very well bred being linebred to Meadow Skipper and Albatross with lots of Tar Heel –Adios cross in the background and plenty of doses of The Old Maid and Spinster. She is from a very current family producing good runners on both sides of the Tasman.
Provocative has been leased out this year to be put in foal to Sir Lincoln.
EYESAGREY (Monkey Bones - Georgeina [Sundon])
A 5yo mare by Monkey Bones and a full sister to Sir George Grey, was purchased of Mike and Sue Clegg in 2015 and has been grazing at our property. She is a big girl standing 16 hands and was tried as a 2 & 3yo but was big and weak like most Monkey Bones’s progeny and has now developed into a nice strong mare. She is currently in foal to Bacardi Lindy and is due to foal in October 2017.